Friday, June 26, 2009

RIP Michael Jackson. WTF?

Michael Jackson is dead. Still seems somewhat surreal, right?


Given the monstrosity and tragic spectacle that Michael Jackson has devolved into since the early 1990s, it's easy to forget that before his face became the stuff of nightmares, before he was accused of molesting young boys, before he demonstrated his Susan Smith-like parenting skills by dangling his baby from a balcony, before he turned himself into the punch line of a joke that was far more funny-sad than funny-haha, Michael Jackson was a fucking genius.




For me and many others in and around my age range, my childhood was unmistakably marked and influenced by two artists; Madonna and Michael Jackson. It's almost impossible to think of me growing up without also thinking about what Michael Jackson song was on the radio at the time, what video had just been released, or which of his amazing dance moves my friends and I were trying desperately, and unsuccessfully, to emulate in our basements. And when MJ busted out the moonwalk whilst performing Billy Jean at the Motown 25th anniversary in 1983? Unreal. Hell,  I watched that shit today and I still felt something, 26 years later. Click below to hop into the DeLorean and go back in time to experience the magic - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RuxoCDfbjU


Given the current state of our pop culture, with ten thousand channels, blogs, twitter, facebook, and the giant, raging herpes sore on the genitalia of the world that is reality television and the utterly useless and talentless famewhores its churned out like Paris Hilton, Heidi and Spencer who all contribute absolutely nothing of any merit, artistic or otherwise,  it's easy to forget just what it was like when MJ was in his heyday. 





I was too young to fully appreciate significance of The Jackson 5 or Michael Jackson's brilliant first solo album, Off The Wall as they were happening, but if you're like me, you took to his next album, Thriller like OctoMommy to fertilized embryos,  you could not stop til you got enough. And rightfully so.



Given the infrequency that networks like MTV and MuchMusic play music videos now, it's easy to forget what a cultural event the release of the video for Thriller's title track was. MJ had already made his mark on the relatively new medium of music videos with the West Side Story-inspired Beat It and the awesomeness of Billy Jean (seriously, who didn't think the sidewalk lighting up was the coolest shit ever?) but with his 13-minute mini movie that was Thriller, MJ revolutionized the music video. He bent the music video over, prison raped the shit out of it and and made it his bitch for life. 





Thriller was directed by film director John Landis who MJ sought out after seeing his 1982 film An American Werewolf in London. My little friends and I were obsessed with the video and rented The Making of Thriller to feed our appetites for all things MJ. No other music video has had the same impact as Thriller and it's hard to imagine any other video ever will. Plus, how awesome is the choreography? Totes. Along with kicking down a door Law & Order-style, learning the choreography of Thriller is on my list of things to do before I peace out to the great big martini bar in the sky. 


After Thriller, Michael Jackson released many more influential and significant videos, Bad, Smooth Criminal, Leave Me Alone, Remember The Time, Scream and Black and White just to name a few. In fact when Black and White was released from the Dangerous album in 1991, the video premiered simultaneously on MTV, VH1, BET and FOX. It was directed by John Landis, with whom MJ had collaborated with on Thriller. 




After the release of Dangerous in 1991, it was all down hill for Michael. He was wearing a pair of Bad Idea Jeans that he seemed unable to remove. He had already been showing signs of being one strange ass dude for years already, so much so that when he was accused of child molestation in 1993, it didn't seem so far out of the realm of possibility for some of us. By the time he was subsequently accused of similar charges in 2003, I was long off the Michael Jackson bandwagon and I handed in my glove. That's it! I was officially done. Even though MJ was found not guilty in 2005, he could never rid himself of the stench of those allegations. Showing up to court in insanely elaborate outfits and pajamas certainly didn't help convince anyone that, even if he wasn't a child molester, he was still, at the very least,  crazier than a shithouse rat.



As much as I was shocked by Michael Jackson's unexpected death, a part of me had already come to terms with it years ago as I often said that my MJ, the one I knew and loved, died in 1992. Gone was the boy whose poster on my wall I'd kiss (haha lame) whose style I tried to adopt with my very own sparkly glove and socks, whose safety I seriously fretted about to the point of tears after he was burned shooting that Pepsi commercial. In his place remained this mangled-faced tragic circus sideshow who, with every certifiably insane thing he did, proceeded to shit all over his own legacy. But Michael didn't die in 1992 so now, as we look back at his life, all the batshit craziness gets just as much, if not more attention than his amazing musical accomplishments. I suppose he has himself to blame for that. I still feel sad though, like his passing officially signals that my childhood is officially, for reals, over forever. Someone get me a vodka soda STAT!


I'm glad I was born when I was and got to enjoy the majesty of the King of Pop as it was happening and not experience it only through stories and video clips so that I can truly understand and appreciate the indelible mark on and contribution to pop culture that was Michael Jackson. We'd be hard-pressed to find a pop or R&B artist who wasn't influenced by MJ in some way. Hell, without Michael Jackson, there'd sure as shit be no Justin Timberlake and for that alone I am grateful. 


Below are a bunch of photos from MJ's prime. In addition to making me smile, they make me feel old. For reals.













RIP Michael Jackson

1958 - 2009

4 comments:

nutmeg said...

White socks with black dress shoes will never look that good on anyone else. Thriller was the first tape I ever owned. My aunt gave it to my sister and I, and we played it so much that I'm surprised it didn't warp. I remember one time dancing to the album in my friend's basement. It was a stormy night, and while Thriller was playing tree branches scrapped against the windows and scared the crap out of us. We ran upstairs and refused to go back into the basement to turn off the tape. The song actually still creeps me out because of that night, but I still love it. I agree that the Michael Jackson of the last decade was not the true MJ, but alas I am still in mourning.

prettystar said...

I had a major case of the sads when I woke up today, I indeed shed a tear or two.
MJ was a major piece of a lot of people's childhood,I know that was the case with me and if I still had my Woodwards version of the Beat It red leather jacket I would be wearing that shit out tonight, maybe without the sleeves because that shit was optional.
Can anyone say Moonwalker? Legendary.
So tonight I will tip my glass, pour some out for my dead homies, and will remember that it don't matter if you're Black or White, that Billie Jean was not my lover and that no one likes to be defeated, so just Beat It.
Peace out.

Shenannygans said...

Devastation! Dreams are dead! The glove, the crotch grabbing, the memories! I still can't believe this is true! When I heard it I collapsed on the floor, hoping it was a cruel joke but when I called you to confirm and your response to me was ‘Are you dying?’ I knew I was just a little bit. Words cannot express my sadness over this! It seems ridiculous to be so affected by someone who was not actually in your life, but that's the thing - the music of the great MJ is the soundtrack to your life. For everyone else shedding a tear for this loss, You Are Not Alone. And, I'm sure we'd all agree he was Gone Too Soon. It is a great loss for the world, indeed. Let’s keep our memories focused on the genious he was and the joy he brought us. Hee hee and peace out (and another tear).

Weichi said...

When I first heard the news, I thought this was the greatest publicity stunt ever! Fake your own death only to come back as a zombie to kick off your new tour! Sadly, it has been 48 hours and there has been no news of MJ returning with a posse of perfectly choreographed zombies. I know 48 hours is a long time for someone to come back as a zombie but I've seen enough movies to know not to let my guard down.

- In denial