Monday, April 20, 2009

Save Ferris



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

To this day, Ferris Bueller's Day Off remains one of my favourite movies of all time. I saw that shit in the theatre when I was eight or nine years old (and a million times since) and I immediately fell in love. I too wanted to be as cool as Ferris, with his ability to con, charm and weasel his way into getting what he wanted. Whether it be convincing Cameron to let him borrow his dad's prized 1961 Ferrari GT 250 ('He never even drives it, he just rubs it with a diaper') making the 'snooty' Maitre D' at Chez Louis believe he was Abe Froman, the sausage king of Chicago, or somehow ending up on a parade float belting out the Wayne Newton classic, Danke Schoen, not to mention that cool keyboard that made cough, sneeze and barf sounds, Ferris was the coolest. To quote the aforementioned Cameron Frye, "Ferris Bueller you're my hero." Shit I even named my cat after the awesomeness that was Ferris. So it's with a heavy heart that I've been watching Ferris turn from supercool school skipper (9 times!) into this...



Le sigh. I see not everyone has attended the George Clooney School of Getting Better With Age. Or maybe he did but took too many days off?

Somewhere Edward R. Rooney, dean of students, is having the last laugh.

No comments: