Monday, March 30, 2009

What Do Juno?



Did you watch the Juno Awards last night? I thought last year's show in Calgary was better but maybe it was because I was there and not on the couch in my sweats? Or it could be because two years in a row with Russell Peters as host is two years too much.



I know Russell Peters has made a fuck load of money with his standup comedy, he's sold out Toronto's ACC and recently performed for 15 thousand people at London's O2 arena. That's London, England, not Ontario, btw, but I do not find this dude funny. Please tell me I'm not the only one? Cancer is funnier than Russell Peters. It's like, you're brown, WE GET IT!

Michael Buble summed it up wonderfully during their backstage banter:

Michael Buble: Knock Knock
Who's there?
Brown people. Now give me a million dollars.

That pretty much sums it up, right? I hope CTV picks another host next year. The Buble would be a good choice. I could see him being very Timberlake in his approach.

Russell Peters' success doesn't puzzle me quite as much as Nickelback's success. The band opened the show with one of their douche jams, the title of which I could not be bothered to look up, and then went on to win three awards...



I don't know if I could date a guy who liked Nickelback. Like, if I met a dude who had all the right ingredients; smart, witty, Arrested Development enthusiast, ambitious, sushi aficionado, cute, sexy, but who also liked Nickelback, I'd really have to dig deep to overlook that shit. In the end it might be a deal breaker like being a smoker or homophobic. Being a Nickelback fan is right up there with those most unappealing of traits.

Anyway the show wasn't without its highlights...
The Stills picked up two Junos at the pre-show Saturday night and at the big show, performed their awesome song, Being Here.



I listen to this song every morning as I walk to work. Loves it.

City and Colour and Gord Downey coming together for Sleeping Sickness was also a highlight.



Anytime Serena Ryder performs is good news bears...



And finally, I'm pretty sure there's something very wrong with me because I find Hedley's Jacob Hoggard oddly appealing in a 'I'd hit that but then lie about it after' kinda way.



I know, I know. I'm not proud of it. Doesn't make it any less so, though.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm with ya on the Jacob. I feel dirty and disturbed about it, but I can get down with a little Headley any old time. (did you see what I did there with the Headley? Headley like Head??...nevermind)